FSSC 22000 Foundation Food Safety System Certification
The Foundation Food Safety System Certification 22000 (FSSC 22000) provides a complete certification facility for the auditing and certification of Food Safety Management Systems (FSMS) or FSMS and Quality Management Systems (FSSC 22000-Q).
The FSSC 22000 System is designed to provide an ISO-based food safety management system certification. Recognition of FSSC 22000 by GFSI ensures worldwide recognition and acceptance by food manufacturers and retailers. FSSC 22000 defines requirements for integrated processes that work together to control and minimize food safety hazards.
FSSC 22000 has been created as a result of international blending of food safety standards and is a combination of ISO 22000 standard requirements, PAS 220 prerequisite program requirements (PRP) and HACCP principles.
It specifically targets the food, feed and packaging manufacturing sector as well as the storage and distribution, catering and retail/wholesale sectors.
Certifying to FSSC 22000 addresses food safety and quality management in:
- Food and ingredient manufacturing
- Food packaging manufacturing
- Storage, distribution, transportation and logistics
- Animal feed manufacturing
- Pet food manufacturing
- Biochemical manufacturing
Benefits OF FSSC 22000 Standard
FSSC 22000 certification demonstrates your commitment to food safety and benefits your organization.
- Provides a systematic methodology to effectively identify and manage food safety risks
- ISO-based certification model can be used across the whole food supply chain
- Recognized by the GFSI and by the European cooperation for Accreditation (EA)
- Promotes the review of and continual improvement of your food safety management system
- Shows your commitment to food safety, providing confidence to your customers
- Improved employee engagement, increasing awareness of food risks and promotion of safety
- Commitment to continuous improvement of the food safety system and its performance
INTEGRATION OF FSSC 22000 WITH OTHER MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS
If you are a food company that is already certified to ISO 22000, you can make a smooth transition to FSSC 22000 to gain GFSI recognition to be accepted by most of the largest brands and retailers. The transition to FSSC 22000 can be made by implementing the additional requirements set by the FSSC and the PRP standard relevant to your industry. The transition can be made at any audit in your three-year cycle and will result in a new FSSC certificate. The food safety management system integrates nicely with other management systems such as ISO 9001 and ISO 14001.